Tuesday, September 13, 2011
1:13 AM Admin No comments
The rally call for the acceptance of President Jose Eduardo dos Santos -- who has detained power in oil-rich Angola for over 32 years -- and resulted in the seize of 24 youths, according to Angolan police force.
U.S-funded newscaster VOA said on its website the 17 were hand sentences range from 45 days to three months, with Portuguese state news agency Lusa totaling that three others were acquit.
Lussa cited one of the defense lawyers as saw the judge declined to renovate the jail sentences into fine and had acted "under much supporting pressure". The legal representative additional that the defense will appeal alongside the verdict.
Inspired by uprisings in north Africa, the pro-democracy rally -- the third organized this year -- gathered about 200 youths and resulted in injury to protesters, the media and police officer during violent clash.
Angola's National police force said they had be forced to arbitrate when they try to dissuade the protester from heading to the presidential palace and that four police officer had been offended by the throwing of deep objects.
The country's main hostility party UNITA had call for the instantaneous and categorical release of all the arrested protester, while rights organisations, with New York-based Human civil rights Watch, urge the government to stop by funds of force adjacent to demonstrator.
Political tension is going up ahead of a all-purpose election designed for 2012 in a country which is Africa's biggest oil manufacturer after
and where an probable two-thirds of a populace of 16.5 million community live on less than $2 per day. Nigeria
Dos Santos' MPLA get-together, which in 2002 won the 27 year-long civil combat against UNITA and next obtain 82 percent of the take part in a ballot in the 2008 general election, have long been accused of mismanage the country's oil revenues, avoiding public study and doing too slight to fight bribery.